free hit counter

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Success at Work

The DTI have today published their long awaited labour market strategy paper, 'Success at Work'.

The TUC have welcomed this as, 'a recognition by government that a significant minority of the UK workforce faces real exploitation at work', and I am really glad to see a few lines in there committing the Government to a review of how union reps can carry out their role - with a view to seeing 'their contribution maximised'.

You can read the whole paper here.

The title of the strategy paper reminded me of my (short and very unsuccessful) tenure as a budding estate agent many years ago. Our manager at that time decided to do a little staff development, which involved 5 of us huddling round a flip-chart in an upstairs office in Chester. I knew the session was doomed when he opened up with the immortal words

'Who here thinks I am a success? Come on, who thinks I am a success?' - glances round room and checks who has been embarrassed into raising their hand, 'Well, today I'm going to show you how you can be as successful as me'...

This was a good 10 years before 'The Office', but the 'Brent-meister' would have been very, very proud!

Any similar examples of excrutiating work-place behaviour from a 'high-flying' boss?

2 Comments:

Blogger Carl Roper said...

Do you dare me!!!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

No - I don't fit the definiton of 'high-flying' so you're disqualified I'm afraid!

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home