free hit counter

Monday, December 19, 2005

Two in five check work emails at Christmas break

Are you that sad? I am.

I will no doubt justify my sloping off every couple of hours or so to check my Blackberry on the grounds that 'it could be really important/better to keep them under-control rather than go back to thousands of unread messages/I could be missing out on a unique financial opportunity linked to an arrested Nigerian minister', but really its just because checking my e-mail has become such an ingrained habit, that every time the little machine bleeps I have some sort of Pavlovian reaction, which means I MUST open the message even if deep down I know that it'll only be an e-mail alert from the New York Times (or more likely and less pretentiously and cerebrally www.evertonfc.com) .

Next week in Nowak's Neuroses: Why the milk HAS to go into the mug before the boiling water....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just don't understand the compulsion.

I can let telephones ring if I don't feel like answering them at that particular time.

You should operate on bad news travels fast and it can wait.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

You're quite right Mrs K - bad news does travel fast, but think part of the problem now is that everyone expects an instant response to e-mails, even on the most trivial issues.

I know myself that I can get quite wound up if people don't e-mail me back within the day, and the rise of the blackberry has made this even worse. Being out of the office is no longer an excuse!

Are e-mails the new opium of the masses? Surely that's 'The X-factor, 'Celebrity Come Dancing' etc etc - over 20m people (I plead guilty m'lud) tuned into these shows on Saturday night - nauseating, mind altering and addictive in equal measure. Obsessive e-mail checking is bad, but its no Simon Cowell!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Thanks Gazelli

Best to you and yours as well

Paul

PS Thought Doctor Who was a a bit of a welcome relief from all the reality rubbish, and its something that I can sit down and enjoy with the kids. Mind you they loved X factor as well!

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home